Legit or Scam: Can You REALLY Make Money Working From Home?
I quit my job in 2007. A while after I left one of my co-workers was talking to a friend of mine and said I quit my job to do “some work at home Amway scam“….
I thought it was funny at the time because it was extremely obvious she’d not listened when I told her I was quitting to become a Virtual Assistant (nothing like Amway and absolutely NOT a scam).
I’ve never worried about getting scammed online.
Maybe that’s naive, or maybe it’s because from the beginning I was lucky enough to find an amazing group of supportive women already working from home when I got started back in 2002. To me there is no question about if this is possible or not, I just know it is.
I once got I got a call from a lady who was concerned about just that, getting scammed by a scammer on the internet. She was wondering if there was any truth to making money online. I feel honored that a total stranger who was feeling lost and pretty confused about the work at home options trusted my written content enough to call me to ask for advice.
And I suddenly realize what a responsibility we non-scammers have to get the word out about real, legit work from home business opportunities.
The lady who called me is a mom and she typed in ‘online jobs for moms’ and said she was finding all kinds of sites talking about how much money you can make but not telling another about HOW you can make it. Her impression of this information was that it was hard to tell who to trust!
So, I’ll call my new friend Shelly (just in case she doesn’t want me to say her name). Shelly had a couple of questions for me:
- “Do people really make money?”
- “How do I avoid scams when looking for a way to work at home?”
Both great questions. My answers were:
- Yes, people do make money online. But I also gave a realistic idea of what that takes. It usually takes time, it takes hard work and it takes the kind of support you can get from a mentoring/mastermind group like the one I joined when I first started online. Can you make fast money online? Yes of course you can. But the business model you have to use is no “business” at all… it’s about getting as many leads to an offer and burning through them as fast as possible to get your cash. I don’t recommend that AT ALL. I recommend and only teach building a REAL business online, helping REAL people.
- Answering the question about how to avoid scams was a bit harder for me. As I mentioned I’ve been lucky to never really have to worry much about scams. I had people to help guide me, people to bounce my latest schemes (not scams), ideas and crazy antics off of. People like Lynn Terry, Kelly McCausey, Lynette Chandler, Alice Seba and Nicole Dean. All real ladies who’ve been working from home successfully longer than I have.
How? If you’re new to all this you might think this sounds good but you might still be wondering HOW people make money. I’ve done many, many things to make money online and worked with others who’ve done many more. Here are just a FEW examples of legit ways to earn money online, from home:
- Virtual Assistant – Help business owners update websites, send emails and just about anything that can be done online (ie. virtually).
- Graphics Designer – Create eCovers, social media graphics, more.
- Sell Information Products – Sell information on just about anything. Not a scam (you’ve heard of BOOKS). Do this in the form of ebooks, emails, phone calls, webinars and more.
- Sell Other People’s Products – You can sell products you didn’t even create and earn a commission. It’s called affiliate marketing. Amazon.com is one huge company you can be an affiliate for.
- So much more – The possibilities are vast and varied!
I started out as a single mom making my living at home and I’ve been working from home now for almost nine years. I said that to my friend Shelly and realized just how awesome that is.
Don’t get pulled in by hype and false promises of riches! Don’t get tempted by “get rich quick” earn and BURN business schemes.
Bottom line is: In the fast-paced world of internet marketing avoiding scams is easiest if you find someone you trust and join their tribe 😉 .[social_sharing style=”style-15″ fb_color=”light” fb_lang=”en_GB” fb_text=”like” fb_button_text=”Share” tw_lang=”en” tw_button_text=”Share” g_lang=”en-GB” g_button_text=”Share” alignment=”center”]
30 Days of Focus
Daily Tips to keep you from the all-too-common distractions that STOP YOU from doing your best work.
Sign up now and see you in the challenge group!